Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Monday, August 14, 2017

Black Monday

When my right eyelid twitched all of a sudden today, I knew that something doleful is imminent. This happens all the time. I seem to have this sixth sense to sense whenever something bad is about to happen - through my eyelids. I have this uncanny ability to sense misfortunes. You may say that it's just a myth and that I am superstitious but it's true. 100% true for me. When my right eyelid twitches, something unfortunate is bound to happen and if it's the left eyelid, it's the reverse.

I had a very, very bad dream a few weeks back. It's on Alycia. I dreamt that I saw her in the hospital and she was undergoing treatment for a very serious illness. It's so bad that I can't even tell it out here. After the dream, I told Alycia to be very, very careful with everything.

This afternoon when Alycia stepped into the house, she showed me her finger. A wooden splinter had gone into her finger when she accidentally knocked her hand on a wooden door in school. She tried to pull out the splinter but only half of it was pulled out and the other half  broke and was embedded under the nail bed. It hurt badly. Her Chemistry teacher advised her to go to the hospital to have the splinter removed as soon as possible. I know that it's bad to have a foreign body in your body. Her finger would most likely get inflamed if the splinter was left inside. After sending a Whatsapp message to her tennis coach to cancel today's lesson, I immediately brought Alycia to the hospital. It was pouring cats and dogs when I drove to the hospital. See, when it rains, it pours!

At the hospital, I asked the doctor if she needed to remove Alycia's  nail whether partially or fully in order to get the splinter out. The doctor said she would try to get the splinter out with a needle first and if this failed, she would cut the nail off partially. My heart sank as it's going to hurt like hell to have her healthy nail yanked off.  But Alycia was very calm, composed and cool. Even with an LA injected and a special needle poked underneath the nail to remove the splinter, she did not yell out in pain. The doctor was very efficient. Within 15 minutes or so, the splinter was removed! I was so happy and relieved! And my brave girl told me that it didn't hurt that much after all. So proud of her.




Thank God the nail needn't be yanked off, PTL!!

Sticking out like a sore thumb!
Alycia : "what, of all the fingers, it has to be my 3rd finger!"


With 3 kids, life is always full of drama and heart-stopping moments. Just over a month ago, I was in the same A&E with Drama Queen who had a fall from the staircase in school with a badly swollen ankle. And now I am here again with Alycia. Earlier this year, I was at this A&E with Cass who had high fever. But I am not complaining. Very soon when the girls leave home for tertiary education, the nest will be empty. The house will be eerily quiet and I shall miss all these heart-pounding moments again.



No comments: