Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Voracious Reader

I was watching the video of 12-yo Darci Lynne perform at America's Got Talent 2017 and called Cass and Drama Queen over to watch the remarkable performance.  Darci received a Golden Buzzer for her performance and  had all the judges rooting for her. She is so adorable, charming and has an angelic voice. I watched the video umpteen times and could not spot a moment where Darci's mouth moved when her hand puppet 'sang'.

The moment Cass watched the video, she excitedly told me that this is called 'ventriloquist'. She explained to me that ventriloquist is a person who can speak or utter sounds so that they seem to come from somewhere else, especially an entertainer who makes their voice appear to come from a dummy or animal.

I was stunned as to how my 9-yo would know the word 'ventriloquist' and asked her where she learned the word from. Cass then showed me that she read it from one of her Famous Five books. She has a huge collection of Famous Five books, some of which belonged to my older brother Raymond some 30 years ago.

Cass is a voracious reader and is currently reading Dan Brown's Inferno (a thick novel with super tiny words). She even hijacked my book on the autobiography of Olivia Newton John, a book that I bought from the Big Bad Wolf sale but haven't gotten the time to read yet.







No comments: