Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Parents' Day At Alycia's High School And Lunch At Jalan Tun HS Lee Hawkers Gallery

Last Saturday I attended Cass and Drama Queen's parents' day and report card collection in school.

A week later, yesterday,  it was Alycia's turn.  Alycia has been going to this high school for six months and yesterday was only the second time I had gone to her school.  Compared to her primary school, I must say that I am pretty impressed with the high school, which is a far cry from public schools. It is clean, really huge and well facilitated.

I was not allowed by the big princess to snap any of her picture in school. Fine by me.  So I took pictures of Cass instead.  She insisted on following me to her che che's high school to explore and boy was she impressed. Let's see if Cass and Drama Queen get accepted into the school.


Image may contain: 1 person

On the big princess' results, I had expected her to be getting  only mediocre marks and positioning as she had only put in less than average effort. Well, my guess was right!  She seems to be really enjoying high school and I have never seen her this RELAXED in her 6 years of primary schooling in an SBT  primary school (Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi / high prestige school).

Good or bad?  Well, her dad says she should be enjoying school and should never be pressured to excel.  He is not expecting to get As from his princess either. He only wants her to be happy and get reasonable grades without failing in any subjects.  While me, the baddie as usual, am really not too pleased with her grades. After meeting her teacher, I now understand why she is so relaxed coz her teacher has a very relaxed disposition and outlook! And  she told me that she does not like to put pressure on her students.  Aha, no wonder laaa!!

Good or bad?

This is very subjective, I think. Agree?  What are your views on this?

Good grades is not everything in life but good attitude is, I am always told.

Anyway, after spending over 3 hours waiting in school, the foodie hubs brought us on his foodie trail again. This time he brought us to sweat it out at the Jalan Tun H.S. Lee hawkers gallery (at Petaling Street) to tuck into the famous Madras Lane Chee Cheong Fun and famous curry noodles.


Image may contain: 4 people, people sitting



Image may contain: food


Image may contain: people sitting, food and indoor



Image may contain: outdoor

Are you drooling already? :P

Dessert was ice cendol.

Image may contain: food



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There must be a balance when it comes to achieving good grades but push your daugther to the limits might cause more bad than good. Countries like Japan and Korea has a high suicide rate due to pressure they get from their parents to excel, there will be a point where they will think that they are good for nothing because they see others achieving but they are not. Always remember balance of both studies and pleasure. It's can't be work 24/7

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hi there
Yes I totally agree on achieving a balance between studies, extra curricular activities and play. The thing with my girl is that her's is not balanced. Out of school, she spends most of her time on her iPod.
She has 0 tuition too and time spent on revising is very minimal and sometimes none.
When revising for her recent exam, her iPod was next to her school books -- You Tubing and messaging friends while revising.
I was shocked and of course wanted to keep the gadget but she was ballistic.
I gave her an ultimatum - show me that your method of studying works or gadget will be given back to me 2-3 weeks before the next exam.
Now she knows her method of studying with entertainment all round while revising does not work.
She is only in junior one this year, which is her 'honeymoon year'.
I am sure the teachers will push them to work harder when they sit for major exams like UEC, PT3 and SPM.

Thanks for leaving your comments.



Anonymous said...

Maybe you could sit Alycia down and find out what works best. Some kids cannot be left with any device while they are studying and some can't. Trying to minimise her distractions is a good idea. Another added point is to sit with Alycia and ask whether she is coping well with school, is there anything that is holding her down. The transit from primary and secondary school is a big one, for the first few months Al would need some time to adjust to sudden chance of silibus. Hopefully her grades will improve

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hi there
I have been asking Alycia many times if she likes school and her answer has always been in the affirmative. I also kept asking her if she needs tuition and her answer has always been NO. Right now, I think she can still cope without tuition. She just needs to put in more time and effort to revise on her own.
I think she is coping quite well. The only distraction is the gadget. I confiscated it from her recently and it affected her badly.
I'll see how she fares in the next exam.
Thanks for your reply.

Inspiredmomx1 said...

I think is a transition process for the kids. Ian's buddy from primary school also goes to the same high school as Alycia's. This boy scored straight As in UPSR last year but he failed his KHB paper and the rest of the papers were hmmm... bad according to him. Having to juggle 3 languages and 16 or 17 subjects ain't easy task I can see. But this boy hor.. being of very competitive nature and strong desire to succeed and win, I trust he will catch up real soon. Same to Alycia too. So don't worry too much, mommy.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hi Wai Mann
Which class is the boy in?
Apart from the 16-17 subjects, there are also 16 classes in Jnr High 1. Each class has 50+ students.
How's Ian doing? I bet he's very happy that finally he doesn't have to study Chinese anymore. Good riddance to Chinese!! I feel his relief too. :)


Inspiredmomx1 said...

Class 7 if I remember correctly. He has another buddy in Class 3 (also straight As in UPSR) but that one is a Math genius having attended mental maths lessons since young. Ian is doing well in SMK and mummy is the happiest now there are no more Chinese exams!! Wuahahaha... He still attends his Chinese classes at school but sitting for the exam is optional.

Health Freak Mommy said...

My girl is in Class 6.
So happy for you that Ian and you are finally enjoying SMK now!! :)