Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Monday, March 30, 2015

Tick Tock Tick Tock...To GST

And so, there are only 2 more days left before the dreaded GST!

Yesterday, the roads leading to Mid Valley Megamall were jam-packed. We avoided the roads at all cost. I think kiasu shoppers like yours truly were charging the stores to sweep the shelves clean on items that are bound to be taxed.

A few days ago, I went to a nearby mini mart to get toilet papers but they were all sold out.  Many items on the shelves were swept clean.  There were long queues at the check-out counters with shoppers pushing trolley-filled household essential items. I was one of those kiasu housewives at the long queues to stock up on taiyima  and pocket tissue papers, muahahaha!

The loot here is just my first round. I swept the shelves of 99 Speedmart clear of my favorite brand of sanitary pads... then went to another outlet to have another sweep.  On Saturday, I went to Tesco for another round of sweeping items that are bound to be GST-axable.



Go ahead and have a good laugh.  My friends are already laughing at me. But who cares. I think I have saved enough to buy a bag of oranges and apples to make smoothie for my family. A little goes a long way ok.







Here is a list of taxable sundry goods from the Star newspapers.




However, do not stock up on everything ok. Some items like soft drinks, clothes, household white goods (TV, refrigerators, air-conditioners, hair dryers, etc), milk powder, toothpaste, soap, toilet papers (the list goes) are expected to be cheaper. These items have 10% sales tax now and are expected to be cheaper with GST (replaced with 6%). I read that even cars will be cheaper (10% SST replaced with 6% GST).

How are you preparing yourself for GST?


3 comments:

Chris said...

We have been paying added taxes forever. We started at 15%, then over the years it has dropped to 13% cos the government ended up with too much $! Will that ever happen in Msia? Now GST is English, is there a Msian word for it? Someone sent me a GST video from Msia and even though the song is in Malay, it still says GST. I also found out there is no Malay equivalent to "competent", it is "kompiten"! Makes sense, doesn't it?

Health Freak Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Health Freak Mommy said...

Hi Chris, it was very kind of your country's government to reduce the tax! Wishing that this would be the case too here. Not going to elaborate further here lest I get arrested for saying the wrong thing (you read the latest news right?) GST is in both English and BM. :)