Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, November 7, 2014

Nuts Over Coconut Milk And Everything Coconut

Did I mention before that I have this craze over santan (coconut milk) and everything coconut?  I love to eat santan in all forms.  I drink it neat, as in how I would drink regular cow's milk.  I love to add santan into our rice.  I love it in tong sui (sweet soup) and absolutely love cakes and kuih that have santan in them.  Once, I convinced the tong sui seller to sell all her remaining coconut milk  to me.  She had a jaw-dropping moment when I told her that I drink it neat, just like that!   She thought that I was crazy to be gulping down coconut milk, haha!  Now she knows me well.  She would always invite me to buy all her left-over santan and I will gladly accede.

Last week, I bought 3 packets of fresh coconut milk from my regular veggie and meat seller.   I drank half a packet and used the other half to cook rice for the girls.  The other 2 packets of coconut milk were deep freezed.

Yesterday, I added a quarter packet of half thawed coconut milk into my red bean tong sui.   Half thawed coconut milk tastes very much like coconut sorbet.  So imagine having coconut sorbet in your chilled red bean tong sui.  Ah, such bliss and gives me an instant surge in serotonin (feel good hormone)!
My mug of chilled red bean sweet soup with ice coconut sorbet.    A cup  of this goodness can give me the same kick as an O, ha ha ha!


Food For Thought:

Weight Loss
New research has revealed that not eating enough fat can actually make you fat. According to Bruce Fife, N.D. in his article "The Fat that Can Make You Thin," people who include more healthy fats in their diet, such as the medium-chain triglycerides in coconut milk, eat less than those who don't get enough fat. While all fats help the body feel full and satiate the brain receptors that control appetite, the fat in coconut milk may increase metabolism and perhaps increase weight loss on a reduced-calorie diet.

Healthy Skin and Hair
Coconut milk is highly nutritious when ingested, and these nutrients may help fortify and condition skin and hair as well. The fatty acids in coconut milk are a natural antiseptic and may help treat dandruff, skin infections, wounds and dry, itchy skin. Furthermore, the high fatty acid content in coconut milk serves as a natural moisturizer for healthy skin and may help repair wrinkles and sagging in aging skin.


No comments: