Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fried Rice With Young Lotus Root & Minced Meat

My 14-year old microwave oven konked off about a month ago.   Hubs said that it ain't worth it to get it fixed as the repair fee would probably cost almost the same as a new microwave oven of some not-so-popular brands. Though I am so used to having a microwave oven to reheat food, I am however, having qualms using it now after reading all the negative reports on the hazardous radiation emitted from microwave ovens and how it will affect our health. So... I guess I will just have to live like I used to before I had the microwave oven and go back to basics - wok to reheat food!

So back to my lotus root fried rice:)

My menu for the day was to reheat some rice from the fridge and to stir-fry young lotus roots with minced pork.  As I was frying the lotus root, I was thinking "why  not just dump in the rice with the lotus root and dish out a lotus root fried rice?"  It was already 7ish pm and I had started cooking dinner late on that day.  I had not much time left to steam the darn rice. We have no steamer and I hate having to use another pot to steam the rice. More pots = more washing and more drying to do!  So yeah, what the heck, I dumped the entire container of overnight rice into my wok of lotus root with minced meat - added some soy sauce and pepper. Then I swept the rice and lotus root to one side of the wok, added some more oil and whacked in 3 eggs.  After a few stirs, I had a very aromatic and delish 'Fried Rice With Young Lotus Root, Minced Pork, Eggs & Macadamia Nuts'   Sounds like a dish off the menu of some high end Chinese restaurant, hor?

So how do you like my creation?  Served with Ipoh salt baked chicken and blanched yau mak veggie :)





The little Miss Drama loved the fried rice so much that she asked me to keep some for her to be brought to school for recess the next day :)

6 comments:

Chris said...

Microwaves have been ard at least 40 years and they are now a lot safer than the prototypes. There is no firm evidence of any health harm. How abt the scare we had abt cellphones causing brain cancer. We would have an entire teen generation dead before they get to adulthood! My micro is abt 3o years old, ugly as sin but just won't break down! My MIL has used 2 since using them abt 20 years ago.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hey Chris, good analogizing. I'll probably get the repair man in to check out the microwave. Good thing yr mil is pro-microwave oven. Mine is not really :)

Chris said...

Like yr husband said, likely not worth the cost of repair. Can prob get a basic model for cheap since all u use it for is to heat up food.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Will consider that. Thanks for your suggestion Chris!

mun said...

My microwave just cause an electricity trip so I guess it is time for me to get a new one as well. What Chris said is true, the warnings are all back in the old days. I think microwave is way safer than cellphones because if you hold a cellphone to staples, you can see the magnetic power of the cellphone when the staples stick to it.

Yummy rice you made there. I love fried rice with lots of eggs.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Mun, now I'm really tempted to get a brand new microwave oven! :)