Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Homecooked Dinner - 29 August 2014

Our Friday night grill...





Grilled Saba fish with an assortment of herbs.  I added ground cumin (love the aroma of this herb!), ground coriander, black pepper, parsley and oh boy, I think I used more than 8 types of natural aromatic dried herbs to marinate this fish to mask the fishy odor.  My mil has a cupboard filled with some very amazing and aromatic herbs, some of which were brought back from her recent trip to Hawaii.

Grilled organic Japanese pumpkin.  The pumpkin wedges were steamed for about 15 minutes and grilled for another 15 minutes in the oven.


I was having a stuffy nose that night, thus could not taste the fish. But I got the thumbs up and 'high 10s' from my 3 fussy eaters. Even Cass who was recovering from a stomach flu and did not have the appetite to eat anything walloped the fish!   So, I think I aced in this grilled herbs Saba fish with a 10/10! HA HA!

Stir-fried portobello mushrooms and Shimeji mushrooms with an entire bulb of garlic.  I needed the potent compound from garlic to help fight off my flu, thus I used a big bulb of garlic, sliced, to stir-fry this dish :)






On the menu tonight will be beef bolognese spaghetti. I am leaving my desk now to prepare dinner. This time, I will be blending the tomatoes, garlic and onions with a food processor. This will safe me some time chopping them up! :D


6 comments:

Chris said...

My god, u made a lot for dinner! Cheater's way of cooking squash...stab the whole thing a few times with a knife to break the skin, pop into the microwave for 5 mins or so to soften, cut open remove seeds. Then pop into the oven, or continue with the microwave, or cut to cook for soup, porridge etc. actually better to oven roast a bit to bring out the flavour before making soup or porridge.

kcantares said...

get well soon!! =)

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hey Chris, I hate to cut up pumpkin because of the ultra hard skin. I won't normally buy pumpkin. The pumpkin that we ate that nite had been sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks, which my mil bought just before she left. Your tip is very handy. SHould I be left with a pumpkin in future, I'll try your method, thanks!

Unknown said...

I love grilled saba fish too, but my fishmonger would slice it the other way round (like fillet) for me, and I'd grill it with just sea salt till crispy! It's a nice oily fish to have, but leaves such a strong fishy smell in my oven.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Irene Yew, you can put a wedge of lemon rind or orange rind into the oven the moment you remove the grilled fish. Close the oven door and let the heat permeate the orange/lemon skin. Leave it for a few hours and your oven will smell nice. I also use wet wipes to wipe the grease off the oven.

Anonymous said...

I love to eat fish and pumpkin, steamed, grilled or otherwise. Delicious and healthy food! My mother eats garlic raw to ward off flu and I stay far away from her because of her garlic breath. Hahaha! Garlic is good.