Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Udon With Awase Miso

Here's another post on food.  Lately, this blog has morphed into a food blog with almost every posting and picture on food LOL!  For those who visit to read updates on my girls or for stories on parenting, pardon me. I have been very busy lately with my online store and with cooking, thus, the lack of  write-up on the girls and on parenting.

Last week, I prepared a new dish for the girls.

I cooked Udon noodles with Awase miso paste as the soup base.   There was also a stir-fried cabbage with minced pork dish to go along with the Udon.

 


I bought this pack of Awase Miso paste from one of those stores that sell Japanese food stuff in Tokyo Street @ Pavillion KL.

I find Miso paste a versatile condiment to use.  It can be used to prepare soup and to flavor meat, fish, veggie and to stir-fry noodles.   The soup with Miso paste can be prepared into a 1-pot dish when you add tofu, seaweed, chicken fillet, veggie, crab meat sticks, eggs and whatever you fancy into the soup.

Miso paste can be very salty if you use too much.  Just go easy on the serving and test the taste before serving.  You can add more water to dilute the saltiness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I know how long does a box of miso paste last after it's opened?

Health Freak Mommy said...

Anonymous, I am not sure coz I have just opened it. The expiry date is Aug 2014. So I guess that as long as it's kept in the fridge, it can last till the expiration date. But normally we can finish using it within 2 mths.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for replying. I bought the exact same box myself with the same expiry date. Maybe i'm just being paranoid, but does the taste grow saltier each week?

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hi Anonymous, nope I dont think mine grew saltier by the days :)