Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Do You Check The Eggs Before Paying Buying Them?

Yesterday morning at the mart, I saw a lady who was doing grocery shopping with her Pinoy maid. This lady was seen telling her maid this "check the eggs, I said check the eggs..." in a demanding tone (well, she was loud in nature from my observation), to which the maid (who seemed to be a new maid) was struggling to understand what her maam meant by checking the eggs.  So the poor maid took a box of eggs and struggled to open the plastic carton box. Moments later, the maam (in her late 60s) said "not like this check haiyoh! Like this check... check one by one!!" ... and then told the maid to take out the eggs one by one from the plastic carton to check if there was any crack or dirt on the eggs, GAWD!  When the old maam walked away to look for other things, the frustrated and super pissed off maid was rolling her eyes and grimacing her face in anger and mumbled to herself softly, as if to curse the fussy maam.  She was also telling other foreign workers at the mart how fussy her maam was.

I may be pretty fussy too but I have never opened up the carton of eggs to check the eggs one by one.  Firstly, I think this would embarrass myself and secondly, I have no time and am always in a rush to complete my shopping.  Unless I am buying eggs from the night market where eggs can be selected, I don't do a check on eggs in carton boxes bought from supermarkets and mini marts.  I know that this is a good practice as sometimes, there would be one or two cracked eggs inside the carton. I had in the past also seen some customers exchanging eggs slightly coated with chicken poop with clean ones.

I check kiwi fruits placed in punnets before buying them though and I exchange squashed or very soft ones with firmer and nicer ones ;)  Oh well, kiwi fruits ain't cheap. It costs between RM1.50 to RM3.50 each.

Do you check each and every egg sold in cartons before buying them?

4 comments:

Charmaine said...

I don't check each individual egg, but will open the carton to give it a quick check. Often, there are one or two broken eggs due to storage and handling.

Leona said...

Haha. I just witnessed this act regarding eggs xchange a week ago and indeed I was pretty disgusted. I nearly wanted to tell the woman off but didn't want to make a scene. I do look thru the carton to see if the eggs are covered with poop or cracked... But not until exchange one by one. No face .

mommy to chumsy said...

I do open up to check the eggs :) i didn't do that last time but after experiencing a few cracked eggs, i have decided to check them before paying. would you still eat the eggs that are already cracked? i threw them away.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Barb, for badly cracked eggs, I will throw them away. For hair line cracks, I will fry them. I think I shouldn't next time as bacteria can go in thru the cracks.