Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, October 19, 2012

Music To My Ears

What's music to my ears is when my daughters perform well in their exams.  Today was by far one of the best days for me when Alycia told me that her position is 4th in class. I really did not expect this as I think her marks for several test papers have gone down.  But I must say that the test papers were very hard for most of the subjects and I guess most of the students did not get 90% and above, so Alycia stood a good chance in climbing up the numbers in the class position.  Her position in the entire standard improved by the leaps and bounds too.  I am really happy for her.  I think I worked harder than she did.  I think she could have done much better if she had been more careful. Yup, this girl is an extremely careless girl and so is Sherilyn.   Despite the hubs and I being yellow bananas and cannot help her in her subjects where Chinese language is used, Alycia can still perform satisfactorily is already an achievement.  I am not expecting a position of top 5 from the top in class as I know her capabilities and limitation in her Chinese language. Yet she proved me wrong.

Alycia and Sherilyn are as cool as cucumbers.  Had I not been such a tiger mum to them, I know they would be like a lalang (wild grass) and would not even bother to do any revision.  The moment I turn my back on them, I am rest assured that they would be up to something, other than poring into their school books. 

It looks like Alycia now stands a chance to go to the top class next year.  She was streamed to the 2nd best class this year.  With this position, I think she would be moved to the cream class and I am hoping that this will NOT happen. I know I will be 100% more stressed up if she's in the cream class and I do not want this kind of stress to plague my life and that of Alycia's.  2nd best class is good enough for me and tough enough for her. Now, I am curious to know what position Sherilyn is placed in her class.  I am not placing too high a hope on this fella.

6 comments:

Inspired Momx1 said...

Alycia's school is so efficient and congrats to her! For my boy, only few papers came back, so far so good. The top class is very, very competitive and we had experienced that before in his previous school. His current school starts streaming next year based on this year's overall result and if he didn't flunk any of the subjects, he would probably end up in top class again. good and bad, I would say... But one thing for sure... More hair pulling moments!!

Ben and Shaun said...

Well done to Alycia ..... And to mummy too. Hard work pays off, and i understand what you mean by the mother working harder than the child. It is as if the mothers are studying and taking the exams.

MeRy said...

well done Alycia...

Chris said...

Congrats to Alycia for a job well done! I didn't realize Msia was still streaming classes...and I am reading everyone's pro and agst comments. I came from a similar system and doing Uni here and in a professional program, our class was competitive. We got yelled at by the profs who taught that we should want to learn for ourselves, which I think was one of life's best lessons. We were also forbidden to compare marks.

Yannie said...

Kudos to Alycia and you, Shireen.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

Well done Alycia. Don't worry Shireen. I am sure Alycia will be able to cope :) Ashley's school does not have streaming. That's what I heard from other moms so I think in a way it's good too :P