Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Food Delivery

This is the 2nd time I am trying out daily food delivery for our dinner.  The first time was done last year, also when my mil was away. It lasted only for a month as I could not stand the dishes heavily coated with sauces and burnt wok residue.  This time, I am ordering from Tammy Food Delivery.  Sadly, the dishes did not meet my low expectations as well.  What I do not like is that all the dishes are also cooked heavily in salty and thick, gooey sauces.

The chicken meat given for the past 2 days have was very tough. I noticed that the way the caterer cooked the meat dishes is that the meat and fish (Dory fish used) are all deep fried until the meat turns really tough. Even my fork cannot poke through the chicken breast meat at times.  Then, the different types of sauces like sweet and sour sauce, oyster sauce, Thai sauce, etc will be used to mix with the deep fried meat, creating a different name for each dish.




Deep fried chicken coated with some oyster sauce and mixed veggie, Japanese tofu in thick oyster sauce and sweet and sour deep fried Dory fish coated with a layer of thick batter. 




My kids ain't that used to the heavy sauces for the dishes and I have to put a bowl of hot water for them to wash the dishes before they eat.

For 2 days straight, the Dory fish dish went into the bin. We all did not like the heavy coating of batter on the Dory fish. Last night, the veggie dish had to be binned too.  While the portion is really large for 4 pax, taste wise, it still does not pass my very low expectation.  But I guess I will have to continue as I really cannot find the time to cook right now.  I hardly have the time to sit down. Any free time will be used to guide the kids in their homework and school work and yes, to sleep.

I am almost surrendering without a live-in helper and it is only the 3rd day. Even the hubs feels the same and he has been consoling me that the new maid will come soon. Yea yea, new maid from where?   Anyway, I hope that given time to adjust to the new routine, I will be able to spring back into my top form again.

The good side to being maidless is : I have lost weight haha!!



Cass washing the chicken meat with hot water before putting it into her mouth.

10 comments:

Montessorimum said...

Never tried food catering. I know my kids too well.. Food catered will go to waste.

On days when I am lazy, I do ala-carte on pot dish. Pasta, pie, just bake chicken to go with mash potatoes n salads as well as a simple donburi. T's really simple but my kids will wallop up coz it is caters to their likings. On lagi malas day, we tar Pau or call for pizza delivery... No fret. :)

MeRy said...

For me, I prefer to cook myself,no food catering.

Cynful Pleasure said...

My family will not like catered food too.. so, what I did during those days was to use a 3 tier steamer.. all in one go.. I got all thing 'ching ching dei' using steam method then top up with some sauce.. but everyone was happy and no complain.. :p

Inspired Momx1 said...

I prefer to cook too. I am lucky that my boy loves simple home cooked food. He is a soup person so what I do, I boil soup 3 times weekly, deep freeze each time for two meals so he will have soup on every meal or just a quick seaweed soup. Two other dishes will usually be stewed meat and stir fry veges. On lazy days, I dabau and call pizza delivery.

coffeesncookies said...

I would reject the food too. Looks really run of the mill stuff.. like you said everything deep fried and sauced ,, different flavour every day. Dory fish is a no-no too. it's highly bleached odorless fish meat.. and worst, they had to flour it,deep fry and sauced, yucks. A simple fried ikan kembung or selar would have tasted better and healthier.

I suggest you use a crock pot or pressure cooker. Very simple dishes like steamed pork ribs or yoke choy kai can be whipped up in less than 30 mins w the pressure cooker. No oil splattering too.

Make stews w the crock pot. Pork rib stew, beef stew, chicken stew, alternate them. Crock pot keeps food warm always and kids get hot food with plenty of gravy and soft meat.

Skip the vegetables, a hassle to prepare and fry. Serve cucumbers, tomatoes or zuchinni raw, more nutritious too.

I doubt you can last for wk with catered food like that. Looks worst than chap farn dishes.

G'luck.

chinnee (chinneeq@gmail.com) said...

I go ta pau dishes from chap fun at times, call to order pizza or dishes from nearby restaurant at times. But now, I gradually manage to steam or cook at least 2-3 dishes for dinner. Like u said, even plain steam chicken thigh with salt together with our cooking rice inside rice cooker taste better right?

Gee....can expect more of such postings coming up from you soon. *so bad me*

Chris said...

So many good suggestions here!! Frankly, lunch should be a no-cook affair...just sandwiches, and maybe canned soup. I have always had a basically one-dish dinner. Meat and veggies tog, with rice or pasta. A soup if I have time. Frankly, I never cook for one meal, always extra for the following day. My kids are trained that way too!

Anonymous said...

Try checking out the Buffalo Smart Cooker.. I have been using it for 3 years now. It can be used for cooking stews, braised meat, soup, porridge and 1 pot meal. I dumped all ingredients into the pot, set the time before I go to work. When I came back in the evening, just steam rice and vege. Went to shower and dinner is ready. Also, pressure cooker is a good for boiling soup. 20 mins is all it takes to boil a pot of delicious soup.

mommy to chumsy said...

Is your online biz taking too much of your time? Maybe just plan your meals so you know what to whip up asap. Noodles/pasta is the easiest :) Got to keep one eye close on the cleaning part :P Take care Shireen.

Anonymous said...

I dont think I want to eat those food.. looks really bad......