Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Garrett's Popcorns @ KLCC

Recently I read from the newspapers about the famous Garrett's popcorns from Chicago that has finally made its way to KL and was a tad excited. My girls and I are big-time fans of popcorns - caramel and buttered ones. Darn fattening and totally empty calories hor? But what the heck. A little indulgence once in a purple moon is A-OK as long as you do not overdo it. Though popcorns are high in carbs and fat, I still let myself loose once in a while and indulge in some, especially during movies. A movie is not as enjoyable without a box of popcorn to munch on eh?

When we were at KLCC recently, I was bursting with excitement when I saw the newly opened Garrett's popcorn at the entrance of the escalator. I quickly joined in the long bee-line to get myself a bag of popcorns too. But my eyes almost popped out from the socket when I saw the price! The smallest bag of Cheese Corn is RM16 and the smallest bag of Caramel Crisp with almonds is over RM20 (can't remember the exact price). But I still got 2 flavours - a small bag of Cheese Corn and a small bag of Caramel Crisp with almonds to justify my long wait and so that I would have something to write about in this blog!

Verdict : Cheese Corn kernels were not crunchy -- the texture was a tad rubbery and tasted like they were exposed to air and not fresh. It was also too salty for kids plus the cheese powder left some strong yellow stains on our fingers. However, they were very cheesy and pretty tasty. If only they could perfect the texture of the popcorns so that they would POP in your mouth, then it would deserve a better rating.

Caramel Crisp with almonds is crunchy and everyone loved it. But for weight watchers and diabetics, this is  strictly a big no-no as it's pretty sweet. Corns are naturally high in carbs too.

Would I buy them again? Maybe no as I think it's overly priced.

Garrett Popcorn Shops® – Suria KLCC,
Lot C151, Concourse Floor, Suria KLCC Kuala Lumpur City Centre, 50088 KL

6 comments:

coffeesncookies said...

yes, i think they are overpriced too. the other overpriced sweet desert is pak fu tong. I'd go for bubble tea anytime :D

Adrine said...

I think it's nice but so not worth the queue and the price.
First and last time for me :)

Kristie said...

I guess everything that comes in from overseas cost a bomb! I still prefer popcorn at the cinemas if I have the craving :-)

http://kristieblog.blogspot.com/

Ann said...

They have one in 1U too. Now I understand why the line is no longer there.

Chris said...

That pricing is robbery, plain and simple. Plain airpopped popcorn is actually low calorie but still carb-y. Can u get microwave popcorn in KL? We usually get unsalted and add our own butter/ seasonings etc.

mommy to chumsy said...

I've eaten them twice now. Pretty addictive actually. I would love to eat the macadamia ones but too expensive. caramel crisp is good but darn fattening. i bought the chicago mix last week...just because Ashley wanted the cheese ones. I prefer just the plain caramel crisp.