Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Disappointed and Burning Mad!

I am getting really worried over rascal #2. Despite me telling her repeatedly that copying in a test is a very grave mistake, she still does it. Nope, she did not copy in her school test but in the worksheets and Math questions that I set for her. The other day, I gave her some Math questions to solve. She is very weak in sums involving a line where numbers are missing and she has to fill up the boxes with the correct numbers. I have had a tough time teaching her this and for many days, she still could not grasp the concept. Several days ago, when I marked the paper that I had set Math questions for her, she got the sums all correct. I was so happy thinking that she finally got it right and had mastered the concept. I pat her head and shoulders and praised her sky high!

The next day I gave her another set of questions, which I set myself. When I went to the table to see how she was doing (as my motherly instinct told me that this girl would still be up to mischief again), I noticed that the answers were all correct too but this little cheater is not a pro cheater. There were no workings done! The paper was clean with the answer neatly written! I immediately knew where she copied the answers from. It was from an exercise book, with the times table printed on the back cover! The Math questions paper was on top of the exercise book as she was trying to hide the book!!! I was so so so mad with my little cheater that I could feel myself transforming into the most evil mom on earth with fangs and long sharp finger nails slowly emerging from my breaking skin!. I pinched her arm and ears. I hit her hand. I was burning with anger that she still cheated despite me telling her umpteen times not to do it. I was very very heart-broken and disappointed. I was also very regretful over hitting and pinching her so hard. How is she going to fare in her school exams soon? How will she fare in her Linus test soon? I hope she will not cheat and be kicked out from school. I am so worried over this girl. I really don't know how to manage her. I have told the hubs that it's best that we send her to the daycare cum tuition center located a few doors away from the hubs' office. She is very excited to go to the daycare centre as her best friend Berlyn is also attending that daycare. I think with teachers and peers surrounding her, she will be better disciplined. It will be better for our already strained relationship. I wonder what and how I have failed in teaching her.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Mummy, two cents from from me... maybe she's not ready for that kind of questions... is it even her level yet? I know child enrichment centres like Kumon and E.nopi teaches kids according to their capabilities and this does not stress the kids out. Her move to cheat could be done out of desperation, not merely disobedience. It's not easy for us parents to teach the child coz I became an evil mother too when I taught her how to read and she couldn't.

As for daycare, my girl thinks the same too, that's it's great, maybe coz other kids are sent to daycare. They don't know how to appreciate our sacrifices and their blessings to hv mommy take care of them. This kinda gratitude will have to come years down the road.

How about a rewards and retract system, if she does well (say 80%) then she gets stickers (eg) and retract her favourites if she cheats...etc?

Stay cool, gong xi fa cai!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Irene, it is definitely her level as she had done it 2 yrs ago in pre-school. IN fact, this girl of mine needs reminders/ refresher lessons every single day. During the school hols we stopped doing Math and when I gave her simple Math sums like addition and subtraction to do again, she could not even remember how to do.

coffeesncookies said...

Don't take it too hard on yourself Shireen. Sending her to daycare may not be a bad solution. Sometimes and somethings.. it's best to leave to others to handle.. and homework is one of them. She could be motivated to study if she has peers around her.

Take care and Xin Nien Kuai Le !

Linda said...

She is a smart girl... She knows what to do to make you happy... See how you react when she started to copy your signature.... :) Maybe she is really really weak in doing those boring worksheets.... I would cheat too to get myself out from those torturing worksheets...

I usually like to buy those fancy workbook from bookshop to motivated me to teach my girl and for them to do their work with stickers.... I hate their school boring homework which they bring home everyday...

Charmaine said...

You shouldn't say you've failed in teaching her. It's always a challenge to teach your own children. The daycare cum tuition centre may be worth the investment. No harm to give it a go and see how she fares. The investment might be worth it and everyone is happy.

Yannie said...

I can understand your anguish when finding out she cheated. I will be very angry if my girls cheated me. Anyway, sending her to tuition is a good alternative than teaching her yourself.

Chris said...

My dtr did the same to me for Kumon. I told her I was disapointed and was firm with her that she has to re-do the sheets and I told the instructor what she had done. I think exposing her was more than embarrassing for her. Anyways, she did not pursue Math in high school or University but she is excellent at checking restaurant bills and figuring out percentages!