Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, July 10, 2011

French Toast For Lunch

Last week, hubs bought 2 loafs of walnut wholemeal bread. My man can be very extreme when he buys food and other stuff. Fearing that his woman and angels would not have enough to eat, he normally buys food that's more than what we can eat for lunch and dinner and again for lunch and dinner the next day! So I normally deep freeze the food while they are still fresh. The same goes with bread. I will deep freeze the bread on day 1 and keep a few slices for consumption for the next day.

Anyway, coming back to the 2 loafs of bread that he bought last week. Since there were so much bread, I made the girls French Toast for lunch.

I mixed some salt and Maple Syrup to the egg mixture before dipping the slices of bread into it. Then pan fried the egg-coated bread slices with pure butter on a non-stick skillet with lines, thus my French Toasts have lines on them. My girls were surprised to see French Toast on the table for lunch as I hardly serve them this for lunch. And they enjoyed their French Toast for lunch very much. Sherilyn ate it with strawberry yoghurt, Baby liked it with Maple Syrup and Alycia ate her French Toast with a scoop of Haegan Dazs ice cream! The next day, we had bread for lunch again - sardine sandwiches... to finish off all the bread that's sitting on our kitchen top! But there were no complaints from my girls and I told them that if they like bread, they can have bread for lunch everyday! Easy peasy job for mummy hah!



5 comments:

Chris said...

Glad to see u are thinking up simple and nutritious lunches! That's the way it should be...not sweating over a hot stove to whip up a 3-course lunch! Most of the time I used to do cold lunches...cheese and tomato sandwiches, any deli meat sandwiches with vegt. Funny..was talking abt french toast with some friends. One suggested toasting the bread first, then dipping into the egg mixture. Bread is easier to handle this way. Cooked french toast keeps in the fridge/ freezer...don't microwave, but use the toaster oven. I'd suggest adding maple syrup to the toast after, not before. A shake of cinnamon into the egg mix is great too. For a decadent treat, use day old croissants, with a half slit horizontally. For the adults, drizzle some grand marnier before serving. Usually do this for Xmas morning. YUM!!!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Thanks for the great tips Chris. I shall try French Toast using croissants as I have a few in my freezer now :)

Yannie said...

Simple and yet nutritious. Thumbs up!

mommy to chumsy said...

hmmmm...French Toasts for lunch. So not you :D

Ann said...

GOOD FOR YOU! My son doesn't like bread. :( So no easy peasy lunch for me.

Your husband is so sweet. But guess you will need a HUGE fridge and freezer.