Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Worn Out

On a typical school going day, Alycia will be one very, very sleepy and worn out girl. She has to wake up latest by 6am and leaves the house when the skies are still dark. She returns home from school at 2pm or 4pm on some days. Ever since she started Primary 1, she has been severely sleep deprieved, thus she dozes off everywhere - on the dining table chair while eating, in the car, on the couch and on the floor. Poor baby, kids these days are really stressed up. They are never like us when we young. I guess my kids will never be able to experience cycling round the neighborhood by themselves, climb trees, play marbles, catch tadpoles in the drains after a heavy downpour and play in the middle of the road without getting hit by a reckless driver or risk being abducted.


Alycia dozed off on the couch with a pencil in her hand. She was doing her homework but was so jaded that she decided to take a rest... and then dozed off.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Poor thing! It is a big step going from kindergarten to Gr 1. My dtr had the same problem, so we set aside an hour or so for her to nap/relax when she came home. It is so impt for kids to have enuf sleep..so many problems with sleep deprivation(for adults too!). Research has shown u can't "catch up" on sleep, so don't let her get overly tired. There have been kids misdiagnosed with ADHD who were actually suffering from sleep deprivation or even sleep apnea.

Yannie said...

I really pity Alycia. I am always making sure my children to take nap in the afternoon. I am very particular on this aspect. I seldom let my children skip their nap, no matter what day. Even during CNY celebrations, I also come back to let them sleep in the afternoon.