Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Monday, November 30, 2009

A Dinner For The Chan Kar

When my parents were here last weekend, my mil cooked up a storm to serve her chan kar. These are the dishes that she cooked:


Clockwise from top : Stir-fried hairy gourd with ear fungus and pork slices, mixed veggie with fresh mushrooms, stir-fried stinky bean (petai) with shrimps and pork slices, steamed woo sow kai (bearded chicken), special sauce for the steamed chicken (fried garlic, chillies, oyster sauce, a little soy sauce and freshly chopped basil leaves), stewed Hakka pork with wood fungus and dried oyster, Ipoh yim kook kai (salt baked chicken) and a pot of healthy Japanese kelp soup with lean pork.


Macro shot of the stewed Hakka pork with wood fungus and oyster. iLike it! Everyone in the family loves this dish. This is an authentic Hakka dish made by a Hakka. Everyone in our family is Hakka but I speak very little Hakka though.


Macro shot of the stir-fried stinky beans...


... and the antidote for the stinky beans - steamed brinjals with soy sauce, garlic oil and toasted sesame seeds. People believe that if you eat brinjals together with petai, the brinjals will negate the bad odor of the petai. You think it's true? I think not that true coz my breath was still stinky after eating the stinky beans... and I hate the aftermath in all the loos in the morning the following day, eeeeeks!! I hate it even more when I have to wash my gals' bump and flush the toilet after their poopie biz! I have to hold my breath to do the chore LOL!

9 comments:

coffeesncookies said...

Your MIL cooked a 'real feast' , like CNY reunion dinner.Nice.
I have not made a successful char yoke before and I'm not giving up :p)

LittleLamb said...

wah....very fong fuu dinner! i hv not had a proper home cook dinner for ages.

BoeyJoey said...

Your MIL can really cook... so many dishes! Very nice of her :-)

I'm Hakka too... but I suck in cooking braised pork belly & wood fungus. The only consolation is I speak okay Hakka... haha

You mean your girls eat petai??? Good for them!

Reanaclaire said...

what a sumptious meal! i love petai.. dont care about the smelly smell.. it is worth eating, i guess it is due to our organs smelly inside?.. hehee.... yucks..

Joshua & Bryant's mummy said...

wow, yr MIL is a superb cook........can cook, can bake, u & ur angels r so so so lucky

ryeli said...

yummy yum!

u guys r hakka too?!! at least u can speak some chinese lingo, i'm a total banana!

i love petai and i think it's good that ur gals like petai too. not many young kids will appreciate the taste.

Yannie said...

These home cooked dishes were so yummy. I like the petai and brinjal the most.

Annie Q said...

Wow..so many dishes! So nice of your mother in law to cook up a storm for your parent. Really like chinese new year lei. Yum yum!

healthy life said...

Stewed Haka pork with wood fungus!, i didn't know wood fungus can be edible.