Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Too Tough For 4 Year Olds?

Do you think this exercise is too tough for a 4 year old? Alycia's pre-school teacher has given her this as homework. My mum who is a retired teacher thinks this is a tad too tough for a 4-year old as Alycia seems so clueless when my mum coached her in her homework. In the first place, Alycia does not even know how to read the instructions which is 'colour the biggest numbers'. My mum and I had a tough time explaining this exercise to her. It could be Alycia has missed out too many classes (more than 6 months) last year when I pulled her out from school when she kept falling sick, thus she is very far lagging behind her peers.


On top of homework, her pre-school also gives her tons of flash cards, which mummy is supposed to flash to her. When it comes to Mandarin, mummy is just as clueless though there is 'han yi pin yi' written on the cards.

12 comments:

Blur Angel said...

i've seen my landlady's daughter's homework ( 4-5 years old). they are as tough as this! She can't read the instructions as well, so we have to read the instructions to her , but she is good! she can complete them within seconds!

Mom's The Cook said...

oh my...it's really tough. I don't remember me learning this when I was 4. More like the homework of primary school children. This is scary eh?

Chinneeq said...

so nice the school provides them flash cards. aren't they expensive?

Health Freak Mommy said...

Mum to QiQi... the cost of flash cards is already included in the half yearly school material fees. On average, we are paying around RM300 for her school fees per month.

凯妈 said...

Yes. I feel too tough for a kid only 4 years old. During my time, I only study in 6 years old (kindy), just one year only. Now children need to start their study at age 3. My son also did a lot such exercise at school, but no homework bring back.

Unknown said...

emm I guess that's too difficult for a 4 year old.I don't think my daughter knows how to do that!she's still don't even know how to do math and write well.About the chinese i don't think ashley knows all the words alycia learns.:)scratched my head!!!!

MamaJo said...

How come the school being so lazy? They should be the one who use the flash card for the kid, and for the math, they should start Alycia with simple numberical like 1-10, before 0-20....I think the basement need to be strong before the homework can be given out....so far, Jona school is good in teaching the basic....

Vickylow said...

Ohh your girl pre-school do teach flash card. Ya agreed nowadays it's tough for kids.

Unknown said...

3Q MRC junior syallabus are the most tough one...as I took their franchise before and have a junior in Ipoh w my partners 2 years ago. now i sold to my friend.

Annie Q said...

i think it's a bit too tough for a 4 year old. Alamak, now i start worry about my boys how can they cope ar..

LHS said...

the homework is tough, if for my jo, i don't think he can do it.

chanelwong said...

war..so tough...
I also not sure jeriel can manage this or not...