Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Trying Her Best To Be Chummy With The Kids

My new temp Cambodian maid is trying her best to be chummy with the kids and her efforts are paying off well. Alycia really likes her whilst Sherilyn who seems to be rejecting and resisting her is beginning to accept her, though she still insists that mummy bathes her and feeds her. Today, Sherilyn allowed my maid to carry her when she played 'catching' with the gals. They were having so much fun playing in the living room and were laughing away. This is one plus point with my maid.

However, some of things that she does can be quite horrible and shocking. For example, the clothes she folds are all uneven and look terribly crumpled. Even Alycia and Sherilyn can do a better job. After folding the clothes yesterday, she put them into a laundry basket and put the basket in our room. When I kept the clothes, I saw unfolded and unturned panties, singlets and socks in between folded clothes. Besides, she's also very dreamy and looks clueless and blur. After turning on the switch to boil water in the kettle, she will stand next to the kettle and stare at the kettle, waiting for the water to boil. I told her she can do other work whilst waiting for the water to boil and she gave me a silly smile and mumbled something which is not comprehensible, and I was too tired to ask her what she was trying to tell me.

She also eats like she's famished all the time. I had bought her a box of Jacob's wholemeal crackers and the next day when I checked the box, I was shock to find that it's empty! I think she must have come from a family who's really poor where food, especially meat is really scarce. She never likes to waste food and even finished every single drop of salty soup from the 'yong tau foo' that I had bought several days ago. She even eats all the chicken that we had used to boil soup, something which my previous maids never did and were all too spoilt for choice with their food.

Overall, she's tolerable and work performance is acceptable. She's also very patient with the gals, which is very important to me.

5 comments:

Mommy to Chumsy said...

great to hear that your girls are starting to like her :D your maid sure sounds like she has never eaten much food before eh? poor girl. maybe she's still experiencing culture shock :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh.. good.. she is turning out well.. :)

Vickylow said...

haha so you no need to finish all the left over food leow. She can help you on that.

Annie Q said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA..shireen i had a good laugh when i read that part ur maid boil water..she stand there and wait..my maid like that too!!! Stand and wait for the water to boil! Not only once..is everytime and i told her many times she still do the same..till i hv to watch her closely and tell her what to do instead of standing there.I wonder is it all cambodia maid is like that? Like day dream, blur and clueless? For the food part, at first my maid appreaciate all the food, till lately she choose food to eat! I pamper her too much with her food, now i strictly tell her no more on waste food and choosing food. Mine one dont eat vegetables, is meat lover. How about urs?

MamaJo said...

Wow, I really feel paisei myself seeing your maid, eat every food that being served rather than waste....I always end up throwing most of my food(dinner esp chicken soup - chicken meat tasteless), cause no one volunteer to eat them all ;P