Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

How To Make Fish Paste

A few of my readers have asked me how to make fish paste several months ago. I don't normally make them myself as the gals' former nanny would make them for us but since she's been busy lately, I decided to make them myself coz fish balls is the ONLY meat Miss Spitty Spat fussy-pot Sherilyn would eat. I don't like her to be eating fish balls bought from supermarkets as they are loaded with salt, MSG, acid boric and maybe food coloring.

Here it goes :

First, debone the fish meat with a sharp kitchen knife. You can buy 'kau yue' or ikan parang from the market. Not sure what it's called in English though - mackeral??

Then, chop and pound the fish meat till it's smooth. Pour a little salt in a small bowl and dissolve it with some water. Mix the salt water evenly into the fist paste.
Then, break an egg - take only the egg WHITE and beat it up. Pour the egg white mixture evenly into the fish paste. Sprinkle some pepper evenly on the fish paste.

To make the fish paste texture 'bouncy', 'throw' the entire lump of fish paste meat repeatedly on the chopping board. That's what my late maternal grandma used to do and her fish balls are oh so bouncy and chewy.

When the fish paste is smooth, keep them in small containers in the freezer.

Easy peasy right? I am sure toddlers will LOVE these homemade and food additives-free fish balls and fish cakes (fried fish paste which tastes heavenly!).

And DON'T throw the fish bones and fish head away. Boil them with some water, tomatoes and some slices of ginger. The soup is REALLY tasty and sweet! Hop on to my other blog to have a look at the fish soup.

4 comments:

Chinneeq said...

can i come over for lunch? haha....hey,thanks for the tip to bouncy fishball. I have never tried making my own fishball, though qiqi loves it. no xtra hand to spare liao...

Constance Chan said...

wow! for once i feel like having the fish balls.. u know i've not eaten fish balls for almost 30 years? because when i was younger, i've been fed with these convenient food everywhere my aunts, parents and relatives go. so I WILL NEVER EAT ANY FISH BALLS! but, i think you have just converted me. i might try this instead..thank you!!!

Everyday Healy said...

Interesting! Running to the other blog to have a look at the yummy fish soup now! :)

Unknown said...

I like fish ball.Emm I might make this one day..thank you for sharing the steps to make it.:)i n ever thought that could be so easy to make.