Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Petai Dish



I love Petai or 'chau tau' in cantonese or it literally means smelly beans in English if translated from cantonese. I love Petai stir-fried with sambal belacan (prawn paste and chillies) but since my 2 gals also eat them, I normally stir-fry the Petai with diced chicken meat, soya sauce, garlic and shallots. Petai is like the Durian, they smell horrible before you cook them and you will have a bad after-taste in your mouth after you've eaten them but when you eat them, they taste really delicious. Petai is also known to have medicinal values, especially in treating high blood pressure, diabetes and other ailments.






5 comments:

LZmommy said...

I have never try that before. Do I just wash it or I need to blanch it first? Thanks :)

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

i had to google petai, and it's called stink beans, must smell a lot, but they usually say the stinkier the better the taste ^_^

Health Freak Mommy said...

lzmommy...yes, you hv to wash the beans but no need to blanch it first. The beans come in very hard and long pods and are covered with a layer of skin. So shelling them is a real onerous task. I normally buy the shelled / peeled ones.

Girlie...funny eh why the stinkier the better the taste, just like deep fried fermented smelly bean curd that's a big hit in Hong Kong.

Leena said...

petai, the aftermath smells even worse. i mean the pee part..that keeps me away from petai though i quite like it.
haha.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Shern's mom... both the pee and poop part are the major turn-off for me LOL! But they taste damn good when u eat them haha!