Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My Maid's Cooking

When my maid first started working for us 1.5 years back, she has zero culinary skills and I had to teach her from scratch, from the rudiments of frying an egg to stir-frying a vegetable dish, steaming fish and chicken to boiling soup, but Suliah has certainly picked up her cooking skills pretty fast, both from my mil and me, though at times her cooking kinda sucks and is tasteless. Overall, I would give her a rating of 6 over 10 on her chinese cooking. Each day, I will prepare a menu-of-the-day for her from breakfast through dinner and stick the menu on the frige and I leave it to her to organize the ingredients. Marketing will be done by DH and I.

This is what my maid cooked for dinner today :


Aubergine stir-fried with minced chicken meat and organic miso sauce, sprinkled with freshly chopped spring onions.


Stir-fried asparagus with baby sweet-corns, diced chicken breast, garlic, shallots and soya sauce.


Stir-fried Hong Kong por choy with garlic and shallots.


Steamed tofu with fried shallots, freshly chopped spring onions and soya sauce.


Pan-fried fish with ginger (the ginger kinda looked burnt, but overall taste is acceptable)

So, what say everyone of the dishes that I have carefully planned? Healthy and wholesome enough for toddlers? Oh yah, forgot to mention, all my dishes are oyster sauce free, thick black sauce free and MSG free and I only use preservative-free & MSG-free soya sauce. Call me a health freak, yeah!

10 comments:

Leena said...

hey health freak,
food looks smashin for a maid's standard. you actually have a menu-of-the-day? our house maids cook watever they like. maybe i should practice some law in the kitchen too. hehee..

MOT said...

Looks delicious! Your daughters looks adorable!

jazzmint said...

wahh..ur maid vy keng, i oredi give up on my for cooking

Anonymous said...

Wow..!! that's alot of food..!! yummy..!!! i wished i had the time.. to do so many dishes.. ;) usually it's all in one pot..so it's easy for me to tupperware it to the store.. for chloe and I to eat.. ;)

Health Freak Mommy said...

Shern's Mom... u mean u hv 2 maids at home? I used to hv 2 maids working 4 me when I was still working but I fired them both when they brought bk their boyfriends bk to my house to sleep & stole our hps! I vowed never to hv 2 maids again.

Mother of 2... tks 4 dropping by my blog. Shall visit ur blog.

Jazzmint... my maid got mood wan. Sometimes the food taste so good sometimes really terrible.

Mamabok... care to share what 1-pot dish u cook? Stew? Share lar.

Anonymous said...

my maid used to learn a our chinese cooking too...and she is really good at that....
so now u got time for blogging too :)

LZmommy said...

Wow! All the food look yummy and healthy! I don't think I will hv the patience like you to teach.

Anyway, I don't have a maid :) With so many maid story that I heard in Spore, I don't want to hv one.

Anonymous said...

So many dishes for a meal?

I don't have a menu, it's usually last minute thing. Ask maid what I have in the fridge and then only decide. Once I've decided what to cook, I will tell her what ingredients to prepare, at the end I'm still the one who does the cooking. :)

Health Freak Mommy said...

Elaine...many dishes but all simple ones.

Hip momma... Luckily my gals love vege, esp Sherilyn who devours her greens.

Leena said...

we have 2 maids at home,
one hired by my eldest sis and one by me. my eldest sis is a single parent and a workin mom too. so we stay together so i can keep an eye on everyone. hehe..
sound so 'pro' but im not.